Friday, August 15, 2014

Data Logging

Quite a while ago Kyle and I started exploring greenhouses as a way to extend the growing season for our vegetable garden. I found all sorts of cool things, from collections of recycled windows to geodesic domes to fully earth bermed enclosures, all of which make me very excited.

Whilst construction of greenhouses and our intentions for them are probably for another post, one thing I read again and again as I looked into growing in greenhouses was that everyone wished they'd kept more thorough records as they went along. This was echoed more concretely as I looked into earthships - many people were asking various owners of earthships if they had temperature recordings. Whilst we don't necessarily intend to build an earthship, our structure will be likely end up echoing many of the structural features of an earthship.

The science teacher in me also quite likes the idea of inserting all sorts of data loggers into the structure. Partly I just like data, partly it will provide invaluable information for proactive changes to the structure if it has problems, and partly because no one else seems to have done it yet (not openly published anyway) and someone clearly should.

With all this in mind, we intend to log temperature in several locations (a few inside, and outside), and probably humidity. Ideally measurements would be taken every few hours throughout the day, and streamed to the web somewhere. I know there are remote weather station kits that do something similar, so I figure its just a case of tweaking the bits a bit and fiddling with the software to make it accessible and intelligible.

Given that I'd like to conduct the data logging right from the start, I figure we should have this hanging in the back of our heads as we go through the planning phase. So often this sort of thing becomes an afterthought and opportunities are missed. I'd prefer to be thorough.

No comments:

Post a Comment