Thursday, January 14, 2016

It's nice to have help

Sometimes when I tell people what we're doing with our house they look a bit concerned and ask if we have much experience with that kind of thing, as though it's utterly impossible for regular people to do anything outside the norm. When I say not really they generally judge my sanity a little, and I assume they think we'll come crashing and burning at some stage and see the error of our ways.

I look at it differently - I come by such insanity quite honestly. My parents, in one of their loopier moments, built a 4WD motor home from scratch, test drove it around Australia for 6 months, then decided to drive to Scotland in back for my cousin's wedding. After watching that unfold, building ones own house that's perfectly stationary doesn't seem so far fetched. I'm sure my Dad would be quite pleased by this.

Of course, there are other bonuses. When you tell such parents you're building a house using an unusual technique, they simply can't resist coming to have a poke around for a few months. So we now have a self-sufficient motor home in residence on the property, which brings with it all manner of conveniences such as an induction stove and a vacuum pump loo, not to mention two enthusiastic helpers!


It's turning into a rather eclectic settlement, as our tent (the red and white one on the left) hails back to our days in historical reenactment and is a replica of viking tents during the 8th/9th century.

No comments:

Post a Comment